It has been said of Elder Frank Lundy that life to him was not merely a matter of days but a sacred trust. In those many years he gave of himself to God and all those around him. Today we remember him as a pioneer minister of the cloth of the first magnitude.
Frank Miles Lundy was born to John and Rachel Lundy, October 24, 1858, in Lafayette, Illinois. He was one of a large family of children. Married to Julia Welch in Marshalltown, Iowa, on April 6, 1882, he and his wife moved to Round Mound Township, Osborne County, Kansas, in 1883. They homesteaded there, reared four children – Rawl, Paul, Dwight, and Goldie – and lived on the farm until 1919 when they moved into Natoma. While on the farm Frank served his township as trustee for a number of years. After coming to town he served on the city council and also as clerk. His wife, Julia, passed away in Natoma in 1929. He was ordained to preach in 1889 but had preached for some time before then. He, with others, established the North Central Kansas Camp Meeting. The first camp was held in 1895, and with the exception of one time he attended each year after that.
Elder Lundy, as he was affectionately called, held a position in the hearts of all who knew him. He lived his life for God and was always associated with church work in the sixty years he lived here. He was the enthusiastic force in building a church near his farm home (Victor Holiness Chapel) and later the Church of God in Natoma, serving as pastor in both churches. He also helped to establish a camp meeting grounds in Natoma where meetings were held each summer for many years. He served many congregations before retiring in 1938 after 40 years pastorate of the Church of God in the Natoma community. He married Belle Finch on October 21, 1937.
Mr. Lundy was chairman of the Foreign Missionary Board from its very beginning in 1917 and held that office for many years. He was also the presiding officer of the publishing board of the newspaper Church Herald for a number of years. This paper is still being published.
During his long life, he gave of himself to neighbors and friends, and perhaps conducted more funeral services in this section of the country than any other person. In the early days when travel was by horse and buggy, he made many trips through mud, rain or snowdrifts to help someone. At times the roads were so badly drifted that a crew of men went ahead to shovel out a path for him. Many times Elder Lundy left his own harvest field to go minister to the sick or bury the dead. He went without a murmur.
He was a preacher of righteousness and holiness. He was loyal to this cause throughout his lifetime, and was held in high esteem even by those who did not accept his doctrines. Though frail as he was, in the fall just prior to his death, he filled the pulpit for seven weeks during the absence of the regular minister. Mr. Lundy died as he had lived – honored, trusted and loved. At age 86 his life ended December 4, 1944, in Natoma. He was buried in the Natoma Cemetery. Later his widow gave land in south Natoma on which the Lundy Memorial Tabernacle was built in honor of Frank Lundy.