Hudson Orville and Nina Marie (Tetlow) Turner – 1996 Inductees

Hudson Orville Turner was born on February 8, 1900, on a farm six miles west of Portis in Lawrence Township, Osborne County, Kansas.  The son of Hudson and Mary (Caldwell) Turner, he attended the Portis schools.  During his senior year in 1919-1920 Hud was the captain/coach of the high school basketball team, which earned a trip to the state tournament.  After graduation he was a student at Ashland (Ohio) College for a term and Kansas Wesleyan University at Salina for another.  At a track meet for Ashland Hud scored 27 points, finishing first in the 100-yard dash, 200-yard dash, standing broad jump, running broad jump, standing high jump, running high jump, and pole vault.  From 1920 to 1925 Hud was a regular on the legendary town basketball team, the Portis Dynamos, and was also a formidable horseshoe pitcher.

After college Hud worked in sales.  On June 28, 1931, he married Nina Marie Tetlow at her parents’ home north of Downs.  Nina, the daughter of Fred and Katherine (Hull)   Tetlow, was born on the family farm in Lincoln Township, Smith County, Kansas, on July 17, 1908.  She graduated from Downs High School and the Kansas State Teacher’s College at Emporia.  Nina then taught school at Solomon, Kansas, and at the Downs Grade School in 1927-1931.  She and Hud had two daughters, Jeanette and Marjorie.

After their marriage Hud worked for eight years as a car salesman in Smith Center and managed the five farms owned by the Turner family.  In 1943 he was appointed postmaster at Portis and served for the next 27 years.  Hud became vice-president and a director of the Portis State Bank.  During World War II Nina served as a substitute teacher in the Portis schools and in the Portis post office as a clerk.  She also worked at the J. C. Penney Store in Smith Center.  Later Nina was the assistant cashier at the Portis State Bank and, like her husband, served on the board of directors.

For 38 years Nina’s weekly columns as the Portis news correspondent for several area newspapers  allowed thousands of people to keep track of what went on in the Portis region.  Hud served on the Portis City Council and was instrumental in promoting the Kirwin Dam and Irrigation District.

Both Hud and Nina were involved in the Order of the Eastern Star.  Hud was also a member of the Masonic Lodge while Nina was active in Delta Kappa Gamma.  At a time in their lives long past when most people would have settled into quiet retirement, both Hud and Nina remained busy with civic and social activities.  Nina served on the Portis Pride Committee, the Portis Reunion Committee, and in the Portis Christian Women’s Association.  Hud was a cooperative observer for the National Weather Service from 1972 until his death.  A passionate angler and bowler, he was state singles bowling champion in 1974 and again in 1980.  In 1982 he was team captain of the Portis Dynamos (named after the old basketball team), which won the state seniors team bowling tournament.  And at the age of 81 Hud took up public singing, performing in churches, senior centers and other public forums.

Hud and Nina Turner were active members in the North Central Kansas Tourism Council, promoting economic development through tourism across the region.  To this end they backed the establishment of a memorial in Portis to Melvin Millar, native son and animator of Porky Pig, in 1992.

Hud Turner passed away in 1998, followed by Nina in 2001.  Their decades of achievements and community service earned them many friends and admirers.  Hud and Nina will be forever held with the highest esteem and respect among their fellow citizens, who honored them in 1996 with an induction into the  Osborne County Hall of Fame.

Advertisements

Adam Henry Pohlman – 1997 Inductee & Adam Frederick Pohlman – 1997 Inductee

Adam Henry Pohlman, Sr.

Adam Henry Pohlman had been in business in Natoma longer than any other person, man or woman, when he died in Salina, Kansas on March 4, 1932.

Adam Henry Pohlman (known as “Henry”), founder of Pohlman’s Funeral Service in Natoma, was born February 18, 1869, in Kleinschwarzenback, in the state of Byern, at Helmbrechts, Germany. He arrived in the Paradise Creek Valley and the new town of Natoma in October 1893 after serving three years in the German army. In the winter of 1895 Henry entered into a contracting business with Louis Beisner and among the jobs they first undertook was that of building the historic Natoma Presbyterian Church (1898). He continued the contracting business and the next year opened a furniture store, which soon brought an income to justify discontinuing the contracting business.

Henry started the furniture store in an old frame building with a stock of furniture and implements valued at about $300.00. Banking at the time was done at Plainville and the only public buildings at that time in Natoma were the schoolhouse and the Presbyterian Church.

Adam Henry Pohlman was united in marriage to Emma Margaret Taubald at Osborne, Kansas, on July 1, 1900.

In 1901 the undertaking department was added to the business. For 10 years the combined furniture and now-also implement business went on together and the proprietor added to his income by continuing in the contracting business. In 1911 the implement department was sold and the furniture and undertaking continued.

Adam Frederick Pohlman Sr.

Henry’s son, Adam Frederick Pohlman – “Fred” as most people knew him – lived nearly all his life in Natoma. After the death of his mother as a young boy he lived with his aunt and uncle on a farm in Ellis County, Kansas, for two years. He then returned to Natoma and lived in the back of the store as he went to school. Later, he moved to Salina, Kansas, and worked for the Standard Oil Company. He later returned to Salina and worked for the National Refining Company. As a young he began working for funeral homes while attending the Williams Institute of Mortuary Science.

After graduation from the Institute Fred began working for the Champion Company of Springfield, Ohio, a funeral supply organization, for more than twenty years. Beginning in 1924 Fred had a special appliances department in his father’s store at Natoma.

On September 3, 1927, Fred was united in marriage to Irene Gladys Kaiser at Council Bluff, Iowa. After his father’s death in 1932 Fred purchased the firm and constructed a new funeral home building.

In 1951 Fred purchased what was known as the Boughner Ranch near Natoma and named the location Pohlman’s Angus Ranch, a profession he dearly loved. In 1972 he sold the ranch to Rueben and Doris Maier.

The Pohlman Home Furnishing Company was closed at the end of 1965. In 1972 Fred and Irene moved to Russell to make their home and continued to operate the funeral business. The ambulance service which began in 1927 was discontinued on November 30, 1971. When Fred’s health began to decline the Natoma Funeral Home was purchased by his son Henry Jr. in August 1976.

Throughout his life he was a person who gave much of himself and expected little praise. He was a member of the Natoma Presbyterian Church, of the Natoma Masonic Lodge, the Order of the Eastern Star, the Isis Shrine and Consistory of Salina, the Russell Shrine Club, and the Elks Lodge. Adam Frederick Pohlman’s passed away on August 23, 1977, at Russell and was buried in the Natoma Cemetery.

Together Henry and Fred Pohlman owned and operated their various businesses in Natoma for 77 years and so played a vital role in the economic development and history of southern Osborne County.

The Pohlman success story is one to be studied and emulated.

Frank Avery Paschal – 1996 Inductee

Frank Avery Paschal was born December 26, 1895, in Valley Township, Osborne County, Kansas.  The son of William and Dorcas (Transue) Paschal.  Frank was educated in the rural one-room schools.  He then attended Kansas Wesleyan College in Salina, Kansas, and Fort Hays State Teacher’s College at Hays, Kansas.  From 1916 through 1935 he taught at Vincent and Duffy one-room rural schools and was an administrator at both Covert and Alton town schools.  He married Louisa L. Robinson in 1917, and the couple had three daughters – Marie, Frances, and Florence Ann.

In 1935 Frank was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction.  He served five terms, ending in 1944.  He was then appointed state school supervisor for the Kansas Department of Education.  In 1947 Frank became secretary to Governor Frank Carlson on the now-U.S. Senator’s staff in Washington, D.C.

In Washington Frank served in many official positions over the next eighteen years.  He was Chief Clerk of the Republican Party and for a time was Staff Director of the U.S. Senate Post Office.  For fourteen years he served on the Civil Service Committee, where he helped draft and analyze postal and civil service legislation, conducted hearings and wrote legislative statements and even a few speeches.  He retired in 1969 as Executive Assistant to the U. S. Senate.

Frank remained active in the Masonic Lodge and the Order of the Eastern Star.  He was a past president of the Downtown Topeka (Kansas) Optimist Club and had served as president of the Kansas County Superintendent’s Association.  After a lifetime of public service Frank enjoyed a quiet retirement.  He passed away February 24, 1987, in Naples, Florida, and was buried in Topeka’s Mount Hope Cemetery.

Charles Elliott Mann – 1996 Inductee

The third of seven children, Charles Elliott Mann was born February 9, 1870, on a homestead near Blue Springs in Gage County, Nebraska. The son of the Reverend Henry and Maria (Minard) Mann, Charles was six years old when the family moved from Nebraska to Eastland, Texas. There his father took charge of the Methodist Church while Charles attended the local schools, graduating from Belle Plaine College. At the age of eighteen he went to work in the print shop of the Eastland Review. The next year the Mann family moved to Norton, Kansas, where Charles went to work for the local newspapers. He then worked for papers in Oberlin and Phillipsburg, Kansas, and at Gering, Nebraska. At Gering he met and married Ethel Lovell on April 24, 1901. They had three children, Janice, Stuart, and Charles.

In 1905 Mann came to Downs. In partnership with William Ransom he bought the Downs News. Eleven years later they acquired the rival Downs Times and merged the two weeklies. Man and Ransom’s partnership lasted a total of fifteen years, until Mann left in 1920 to become editor of the Osborne County Farmer.

A staunch Republican, Mann was elected Osborne County’s representative to the Kansas Legislature in 1918. Re-elected to a second term, Mann also served as Speaker of the Kansas House of Representatives in 1923. Five years later he returned to the legislature as a state senator, serving two terms.

As editor of the Farmer Mann exerted influence across the state. He was a brilliant and talented writer whose column Down Near the Short Grass Roots was widely quoted. Mann was deeply interested in the history and traditions of Osborne County and did much to preserve the stories of the early days of the county. He was a member of the National Editorial Association and of the Rotary Club, Masonic Lodge, and Order of the Eastern Star in Osborne. In 1933 he was granted life membership in the Kansas Illustriana Society.

Mann’s first wife died in 1925. On September 28, 1927, Charles married again, this time to Laura (Booz) Smith, a widow with two children, Lola and Cyril. Mann continued as editor of the Farmer until 1942, when he stepped down after 23 years. In 1948 Mann moved to Topeka and served on the public relations staffs of Governors Frank Carlson and Edward Arn until his retirement.

“I remember him as a quiet, understated man, full of dignity, who was never happier than sitting back in a chair spinning stories for a small, appreciative audience . . . [He had] a keen sense of humor. He used to joke that he always voted for the best candidate – it wasn’t his fault if those were Republicans.” – Marilyn Mann, granddaughter.

Charles Elliott Mann passed away January 19, 1958, in Topeka and was laid to rest in the Osborne Cemetery. His death was marked and lamented far and wide across Kansas and Kansas House Resolution 15 was passed in his memory.

                                                                                                                      ORIGINAL MOTIONS AND RESOLUTIONS
House Resolution No. 15–Resolution Relating to the death of Charles E. Mann
“WHEREAS, Charles E. Mann, former member of the House of Representatives, and former Senator, departed this life January 19, 1958, in Topeka, Kansas, at the age of 87 years; and

“WHEREAS, Charles E. Mann was born February 9, 1870, in Blue Springs, Nebraska. He edited the Downs News from 1905 until 1920, and later was editor of the Osborne County Farmer for twenty-three years. He was a brilliant and talented writer and his column Down Near the Short Grass Roots was widely quoted in papers all over the state. Mr. Mann was vitally interested in the history and traditions of Osborne County. He moved to Topeka in 1948 to serve on the public relations staff of Gov. Frank Carlson and Gov. Ed Arn until he retired. Mr. Mann is survived by his widow, one daughter and one son, six grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and one sister. He was a member of the Lowman Memorial Church of Topeka the Masonic Lodge, Order of the Eastern Star and the Rotary Club in Osborne. He served in the House of Representatives from the 84th district during the 1919 and 1921 regular sessions, and the 1919 and 1920 special sessions of the Legislature; and as Senator from the 34th district during the 1929 and 1931 regular sessions and the 1930 special session of the Legislature; and was speaker of the House in 1923; and

“WHEREAS, In the death of the said Charles E. Mann, his community and the state have suffered a great loss: Now, therefore
“Be it resolved by the House of Representatives of the State of Kansas: That we extend to the surviving relatives of said Charles E. Mann, our sincere sympathy; and

“Be it further resolved: That the chief clerk of the House of Representatives be directed to send an enrolled copy of this resolution to each of the following-named relatives: His widow, Mrs. Laura Mann, 1278 College Avenue, Topeka, Kansas; his daughter, Mrs. Janice Newhouse, c/o Mrs. Laura Mann, 1278 College Avenue, Topeka, Kansas; his son, Dick Mann, 1116 Washburn Avenue, Topeka, Kansas; and his sister, Mrs. Anna Ritter, Phillipsburg, Kansas.” — JOURNAL OF THE HOUSE, January 27, 1958.

Edgar Owen and James Edgar Henshall – 1996 Inductees

 

Owen Henshall

Owen Henshall was born October 12, 1858, in Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1869 he moved with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Henshall, to Doniphan County, Kansas, where he finished his early schooling. In 1876 he began teaching. Six years later he turned to medicine, and in 1885 he graduated from Rush Medical College in Chicago, Illinois. “Doc” Henshall then settled in Portis, where he opened a drugstore and entered medical practice. In 1886 he met Emma Silverwood of Oldham, England, who was visiting relatives in Portis. They were married May 1, 1887, in Portis. Three children were born there–Ethel, Irene, and James, who was born April 4, 1888.

In 1897 Edgar sold his practice but continued operation of the drugstore. Seven years later the family moved to Osborne, where he resumed his practice, specializing in eye, ear, nose, and throat diseases. He was elected county coroner in 1900, serving three terms, and also served on the Osborne city council and board of education. Edgar was elected mayor in 1911 and was instrumental in securing both the municipal light and power plant and the Osborne Carnegie Library for the city. In 1905 he was listed in the state biography Men of Kansas.

Edgar’s son James graduated from the University of Kansas medical school in 1914 and joined his father in practicing medicine at Osborne. On June 16, 1915, he married Elizabeth Marie Boggs. The had four children: Charles, James, John, and Maryem.

Father and son practiced medicine together for thirteen years in Osborne. Both were members of the Masonic Lodge and the Isis Shrine. During World War I James Henshall was commissioned a first lieutenant in the reserves, while his father served as county president of the American Red Cross. Edgar Henshall had a kindly attitude that endeared him to his community and beyond. When he died on November 24, 1927, in Osborne, his longtime friend Bert Walker, publisher of the Osborne County Farmer, said of him in tribute:

“His was a tender heart and, while he smiled and spoke cheery words, suffering in others wrenched him to the quick. ‘Doc’ has left us now for good, but his memory will not fade out. Often in the days to come his name will be mentioned, and a neighbor will at once say, ‘He was a mighty good man.’ Man in his daily walk writes his own eulogy, and that is the one left to posterity by Edgar Owen Henshall.”

Hundreds came to Edgar’s funeral, and the good doctor was laid to rest in the Osborne Cemetery.

James Henshall

James Henshall continued the family practice with the same kindly attitude and friendly spirit exhibited by his father. He served as president of the Rotary Club and the Osborne Chamber of Commerce, and became a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the American Medical Association. In 1936 he was appointed to the State Board of Medical Registration and Examination by Governor Alfred Landon, and in seven years assisted in the examination of nearly 1,000 doctors. He served two terms as Osborne County Coroner from 1955 through 1958, and was honored in 1964 for reaching the milestone of fifty years of service to the community.

James died August 13, 1970, in Osborne. His passing was lamented as much as his father’s had been before him, and his funeral was largely attended. He was laid to rest in the Osborne Cemetery.

Together Edgar and James Henshall contributed eight-five years of family service and loyalty to the citizens of Osborne County. Bert Walker’s words have proved prophetic, as the memory of these mighty good men has not faded and it has earned them an eminent place in the Osborne County Hall of Fame.

Harold Dermont Arend – 1997 Inductee

Harold Dermont Arend was born October 3, 1893, on a farm northwest of Downs in Ross Township, Osborne County, Kansas.  The son of Franklin and Susanne (Bowers) Arend, Harold,  or “Dutch” as he was known all his life, attended the local schools and graduated from Downs High School in 1913.  Between 1914 and 1917 he taught school in Osborne County at Greenwood Rural School, District Number 44, and in the Osborne city school system.  He was a student at the University of Kansas in Lawrence when the United States entered World War I in 1917.  Dutch enlisted and became a fighting “doughboy” in the American Expeditionary Forces to France, where as a first lieutenant he saw action in the Argonne Forest and elsewhere and was a Purple Heart recipient.  After his discharge in 1919 he was employed for a time by the McPike Drug Company of Kansas City, Missouri.  On June 28, 1926, he married Hildegarde Krobst in Kansas City.  Hildegarde had experience in the ladies’ ready-to-wear business, so the couple settled in Dallas, Texas, where they operated a wholesale ladies’ ready-to-wear house for ten years.

In 1937 the Arends moved to Beloit, Kansas, and opened a ladies’ ready-to-wear shop.  Later Dutch also operated the 24 Grill restaurant.  A life member of both the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas and the Kansas Congress of Parents and Teachers, Dutch also became a major figure in local affairs, holding membership in the Beloit Lions Club (as charter member and past president), the Masonic Lodge, the Order of the Eastern Star in Downs, and the Mystic Shrine at Salina, Kansas.  He was a member of the board of directors for the Beloit Community Hospital and was active in both the Boys Scouts and American Legion organizations at the local, district, and state levels.  Dutch also served three terms as president of the Beloit Chamber of Commerce and was a director in the Kansas Chamber of Commerce, as well as a member and chairman of the Kansas Chamber of Commerce Industrial Council.

“H. D. Arend has probably given more time and talent to state and community work than any other one person in Mitchell County.  He was selected in 1950 for the Who’s Who in the Midwest and the reason for the choice is [that] he was among the best known men and women of the Central and Midwestern states in all lines of useful and reputable achievements and was selected on account of special prominence in the creditable lines of effort.” — Beloit Daily Call, October 3, 1955.

In August 1942 Dutch began serving the first of three terms as Mitchell County Representative in the Kansas legislature.  In the legislature he was noted both for his wisdom and school experience in working with the various committees that dealt with school district reorganization and for his term as chairman of the House Committee on Education.  For ten years he was the local Home Service Director for the American Red Cross, and in July 1947 he was appointed Mitchell County Probate Judge to serve out an unexpired term of office, which ended in November 1948.  A stroke in 1951 slowed down his busy life, possibly brought on by over-exertion in his zeal to serve his fellow citizens.  He was in and out of hospitals after that, and spent a year in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in hopes of improving his health.  Harold Arend died in Beloit on February 11, 1956.  He was buried in the Downs Cemetery.